Is your EPUB accessible?
Put it to the test!
Because it’s the right thing
Because you don’t have a choice
it’s your (frickin’ damn) job!
Accessibility is a continuum
Accessibility is a multiverse!
Accessibility is about the whole thing
And the devil is in the details…
… but it’s well worth a shot!
What’s a book?
▶ a11y tree
▶ a11y API
- Voice Over
Using a technology in a way that is accessibility supported means that it works with assistive technologies (AT) and the accessibility features of operating systems, browsers, and other user agents.– WCAG 2.0 specification
Figuring out accessibility support
- blog, articles, tweets
- Web Platform Tests
- … but no “Can I Use” 😞
- often requires manual testing!
Accessibility inspectors (1)
Browser-Based Dev Tools
- chrome://accessibility/ (Chrome)
- F12 Accessibility Tree (Edge)
- Dom Inspector (Firefox extension)
- Accessibility Node Inspection in WebKit Web Inspector (Safari)
Accessibility inspectors (2)
- Aviewer (Windows)
- Inspect (Windows SDK)
- Accprobe (Windows)
- Accessibility Inspector (Xcode, OS X)
<h2>Chapter 1: Loomings</h2>
<h2 id="ch1>Chapter 1: Loomings</h2>
<div role="doc-chapter region" aria-labelledby="ch1">
<h2 id="ch1">Chapter 1: Loomings</h2>
Several levels of testing
Various testing methods
- automated tests
- manual inspection
- user testing
Manual inspection is crucial!
Automation is NOT sufficient!
(Try to) involve users!
Identify platform combinations
- epubjs + Firefox + NVDA on Windows
- iBooks/Safari + VoiceOver on MacOS
- Chrome + TalkBack on Android
Test as early as possible!
Never, ever, understimate the cost of remediation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Learn, share, Educate
If you can’t secure leadership backing right away, you can still form a grassroots accessibility movement within the company.
— A DIY Web Accessibility Blueprint
EPUB testing tools
- All of the aforementioned tools!
- Ace, by DAISY
- IBM Digital Content Checker
Ace, by DAISY
$ npm install @daisy/ace
Mmm… but I hate the command line!
- Ask for help! Don’t be shy! firstname.lastname@example.org
- baCC: by the German Central Library for the Blind (DZB)
- Ace Desktop App comming later this year… stay tuned!
Simplified Manual Accessibility Reporting Tool
Should I use several tools?
It depends! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Accessibility testing is sometimes complex, and sometimes you will trip up…
Do not aim too high, and always be aware of the technical context (a11y support)
You will need to learn some new methods, some new tools
And these will help avoiding the pitfalls
Remember to build a team, get help
You’ll get there! Be proud to do a quality job, get some wow!
And –most importantly–, you’ll make more readers happy!